Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Thank you, Whiteleys

I was walking towards my nearest Starbucks today (that's where I get my internet access) and decided to check out the one in a local mall called Whiteleys. I for some reason thought Whiteleys was a department store, with a mall attached, but it turns out it's just a regular old mall. It has in it, however, some stores which have made me feel much better about the cost of things. You see, I've been feeling a little overwhelmed at the prices of every day items (see my rant about tea at Starbucks), and was certain that there was no way I was going to have an even remotely livable existence here.

But fortunately, Whiteleys had several stores, restaurants and a movie theatre with prices significantly below what I was seeing elsewhere. For example, the big movie theatre in Leicester Square is £11 - 12, which is nearly $25 just to see a movie! I thought my movie-going days were over. And you know how much I love my movies.. but the cinema in this mall has rates between £6-8, which is far more reasonable. I had an urge to go see a movie, just 'cuz it was cheaper! Anyway, this makes a difference to me. Not just the movies, but that I found some cute restaurants and a housewares store that had reasonable prices as well. I can actually buy things again! Hooray for commerce!

I knew it would be expensive here.;I prepared myself for that. But it would be nice to be able to enjoy my tea without thinking of how much it's costing me - I've been lucky enough to enjoy a reasonable quality of life in Vancouver and I'd like to retain even a semblance of that here.

So, now I know to shop at Whiteleys. And go to Compton's on Monday nights for their £1.50 pints (and hot bartenders!). And I can get in free at G-A-Y with certain flyers, or reduced entrance.

On another note, I went to see Billy Elliot on Saturday. It was absolutely briliant! It was translated beautifully from the movie, and the choreography was amazing. I loved it. I love the theatre - I just feel so energized when I see a good show. I can see myself in certain roles, thinking "that song is in my range", or "I could probably do that choreography". It makes me long for that feeling that I have when I'm on stage. I'm going to check out the community theatre here and see what's on.

I've seen a couple of flats so far. Unfortunately, none of them have really been suitable, but I'm still holding out hope. I have a couple more to see this week before I head off on my travels and they look nice, although further from the centre of London. I'll keep you posted.

I'm heading up north on Monday to visit where my grandfather was born, and also to take his ashes and bury/scatter them. It's quite an honour to be able to return my grandfather to his home - I just hope I don't leave him on the bus! (He took the bus a lot, so I don't think he'd be too mad, but the rest of my family, well...

Next Wednesday I fly to Berlin to meet up with two of my friends from Vancouver. I'm so excited to be travelling - that was one of the biggest reasons why I came to London, the proximity to so many countries I've wanted to visit. So it's Amsterdam, then Paris, Barcelona, and finally a week in the south of Italy. All told, I'll be gone for over three weeks. I can't wait! I'll take lots of pics, and be sure to send postcards. (could you please email me your full addresses so I get them to you?)

In closing, I'll share with you one rant:

-Sink faucets over here are usually separated by hot and cold. The hot is scorchingly hot, and impossible to wash with. This makes washing my hands exceedingly difficult. I just don't feel like I've properly washed my hands using cold water, you know? And not washing is just gross. Secondly, the pressure of the taps in my hostel are ludicrous. You push down on the tap and it gives you a very forceful gush of water, then shuts itself off. I've literally soaked myself with boiling hot water a number of times. And the showers - they work on the same mechanism and shut off after about 5-10 seconds (it's never the same two times in a row). So you have to push the button 4 times just to get fully wet. Then the lights are on a timer, and so halfway through my shower, the lights go out, so I have to open the shower door to reactivate the light, then the water's gone off again, so I've got to push the button to get the water going again! Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have to push the button five to six times just to get the water temperature warm enough to shower in, before I get in. My morning shower ritual would look hilarious if ever videotaped. To me it's just annoying.

The end, for now. Look at me blogging again so soon after my last one! You're welcome.

Toodleoo...

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn's Yarn Addiction said...

ahahah - that's me laughing at the picture of you trying to have a normal shower! FUNNY! And also, remember when you told me once that you should sing "happy birthday" when you're washing your hands to ensure you have srcubbed all the germs off? Well that picture came into my head too - you starting "happy birthday," soaking yourself, turning the water back on tro try again, only to be drenched in cold water that doesn't do much to kill germs. ahahahha! And PS me laughing at your adventures with the facuet is a big cover-up for being jealous of you A) being in London, B) seeing Billy Elliot, and C) going travelling with your "two friends from Vancouver" - neither of which are ME!!

(Love you)
jenn

9/20/2006 09:41:00 PM  
Blogger Heipel said...

Yup, I was hooting picturing you (ahem, not that way) in the shower struggling with the faucets and the light switches. (You do know that electricity and water don't like each other and take it out on those who mix them together?)

9/22/2006 03:39:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

please note Mike;

a) not all taps work this way

b) neither do all showers

;o)

It must be a hostel thing, P x

9/22/2006 07:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home